Testing Your Dog
To order one or more kits, please fill out the form to the right with your name, your email address, and in the body of the message let us know your dog/s name (registered name, if your dog is registered) and the address to which the kit should be sent. Then just hit “send”!
The cost is $139/kit. If you need help with funding, let us know.
We strive to respond to all messages within 1 – 2 business days.
What Your Test Will Include:
- Breed identification
- Ancestry, including maternal and paternal haplotypes
- Information on over 160 health conditions, including all the genetic tests currently recommended for English Shepherds
- Trait information including coat color genetics, other coat traits, body features, body size, performance, coefficient of inbreeding (COI) and genetic diversity
- A health report that you can share with your veterinarian
- Ability to submit results to OFA
- For more information on the test, please visit the Embark website
Once your dog’s data has been added to the English Shepherd genetic database, you will have the ability to compare prospective breedings by looking at the expected level of inbreeding expected, comparing status of prospective mates on all of the health conditions tested, and more. Additional tools are under development for breeders. Here are some examples of the type of analysis possible; these examples are drawn from work being done by another Embark research partner, the Doberman Diversity Project.
The chart below is an example of how information on dogs being considered for breeding might be used by breeders:
Another Matchmaker Tool
The chart to the right provides a visual representation of how the chromosomes of two prospective breeding dogs compare; the orange areas reflect locations across the two dogs’ chromosomes where they share one strand of DNA, the red areas are where both strands of DNA are the same.